Friday, December 2, 2011

26th Amendment


SECTION 1.

The right of citizens of the United States, who are 18 years of age or older, to vote, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any state on account of age.

SECTION 2.

The Congress shall have the power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.
This amendment relates to me because a little over a year ago I was 18, which means I gained my right to vote for things. Although I'm almost 20, I still haven't voted basically because I'm still at the point to where I'm not interested enough in politics even though it can affect my life a lot. I do know that there a lot of 18 year olds that are probably excited to gain this right. First things to do when turning 18 : Go to a strip club, buy a scratch off, buy cigarettes, and VOTE. WOOO! 
This is just an example of getting kids involved in voting. I'm sure if I had someone take me to do it I probably would. I would never go by myself. So maybe this is depicting like an adult taking some newly 18 year olds to vote for the first time. 
I picked this picture because I don't think us youth realize how much our vote counts. It could possibly affect something major going on in our world. The fact the adults made this amendment so that we could be heard at a young age is huge, and showing that time is changing. It use to be don't talk unless spoken to, but now we can talk and vote and be heard all around just by this amendment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment